AUTO EQUIP OPR PRN (Principal Automotive Equipment Operator)
Company: University of California
Posted on: June 16, 2022
Utilities is responsible for providing mission-critical utility
services to keep the UC Davis campus running in support of the
campus Academic Plan and academic program needs. Utilities provides
electricity, chilled water, steam, gas, water, wastewater
treatment, drainage, and solid waste services to more than 1,600
buildings, totaling over 12 million gross square feet of campus
space. Utilities has 80+ FTE and is responsible for $40+ million
budget. The campus Solid Waste program includes refuse and
recyclables collection for the UCD campus and west campus
groundwater cleanup system.
Under supervision of the Assistant Superintendent, operates large
specialized commercial hauling vehicles, garbage and recycling
trucks in the transportation of materials and collection and
disposal of solid waste. Operates front end loader refuse
collection trucks, roll-off collection trucks, side loader
$25.39/hr. - $33.48/hr.
No. of Positions
Percentage of Time
Apply by Date
* Lift 50 lbs. or more of solid waste, equipment and tools.
* Working conditions may also include constant noise, extremely
hot, cold, sunny, dusty, smelly, foggy and/or wet areas.
* Will wear a uniform and appropriate protective gear. (i.e.,
boots, gloves, safety vest, eye and ear protection, seat belts,
* Climb ladders, on top of machinery and equipment; crawl, bend,
stoop and work in tight, confined areas.
* Valid Class B California driver's license.
* Employment contingent upon successful completion of the
Department of Transportation (DOT) Drug and Alcohol Testing
program; employee will be placed on the random testing pool list
for drug and alcohol testing.
* Position will participate in the Department of Motor Vehicles
(DMV) Pull Notice System.
* Position is subject to Medical Surveillance procedures and review
in accordance with Federal and State Laws and Regulations and
* Position is subject to completion of a pre-placement medical exam
provided by Occupational Health Services.
* Position supports critical campus functions operating 24 hours
per day, 365 days per year. To assure adequate support of these
functions the employee may be required to participate in an 'on
call' program to facilitate timely return of staff to the campus as
required to meet critical needs.
* This on call program may include requirements for the employee to
inform the University how they can be reached during non-working
hours, to carry University provided radios, cell phones, pagers or
other telecommunications equipment which would facilitate
communication between the campus and employee during non-work
hours, or to accept rotating on-call responsibility which could
periodically restrict the off-campus movements of the employee.
* If the employee's non-working hour movements are restricted by
the University, employees will be compensated for their 'On-Call'
time according to the established on call rates.
* If actually called into work, the employee will be compensated
according to the established campus policies.
* Employees may also be required to return after an assigned shift
due to business necessity or emergencies.
* Compensation for 'Call-Back' will be in accordance with AFSCME
* Position may, at times, require the individual to work with or be
in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are
* Specific hazards include but are not limited to: asbestos, PCB's
radioactive materials, industrial and laboratory chemicals, fuels,
solvents, infectious materials and wastes, biological hazards and
other materials labeled hazardous.
* The Smoke and Tobacco Free Environment policy is intended to
provide a healthier, safer, and more productive work and learning
environment for the entire UC community. The University of
California prohibits smoking and tobacco use at all University
owned or leased properties, or facilities operated by UC staff or
faculty. Smoking and tobacco use are strictly prohibited in indoor
and outdoor spaces, parking lots, residential space, and University
* Experience operating heavy on-road material, refuse and recycling
handling and hauling equipment, including dump trucks, water
trucks, front and side loading solid waste/recycling trucks, and
* Experience performing daily vehicle pre- and post-use vehicle
inspections, lubrication, air brake draining, fluid level
adjustment, and cleaning.
* Experience identifying and handling regulated waste including
municipal solid waste collection and disposal, recycling, special
(hazardous, radioactive, and biological) waste identification and
handling, landfill operation, and technical issues regarding solid
waste management practices such as waste spill emergency
* Skills to understand equipment operating systems and maintenance
procedures and assess equipment performance and deployability.
* Skill to operate and maintain steam cleaners, pressure washers
and other small sanitation equipment; skill to coordinate
hydraulic, air, or cable controlled equipment; skill to operate gas
or electric controls on the various types of equipment; skill to
complete minor repairs and maintenance to refuse containers,
castors, springs, hinges, and lids.
* Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication; customer
* Computer skills to use software programs for work management.
* Knowledge of job related safety hazards and appropriate safety
devices and practices.
* Knowledge of state and federal solid waste management
regulations, and regulatory codes applicable to solid waste
collection and disposal operations.
This position is a critical position and subject to a background
check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of
background investigation including criminal history and identity
checks. This position is subject to the California Department of
Motor Vehicles Pull Notice System. This position requires a
The University of California has implemented a SARS-CoV-2
(COVID-19) Vaccination Program SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination Policy
(ucop.edu) covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy,
employees must submit proof of vaccination or a University-approved
exception or deferral.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
At UC Davis, we're solving life's most urgent challenges to bring a
fuller, healthier, and more resilient world within reach. We grow
from every challenge we take on and we don't just maintain - we
We recognize that creating an inclusive and intellectually vibrant
organization means understanding and valuing both our individual
differences and our common ground. The most comprehensive solutions
come from the most diverse minds and you belong here.
As you consider joining UC Davis, please explore our Principles of
Community, our Clinical Strategic Plan and strategic vision for
research and education, and our latest efforts to outgrow the
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or
other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination
Keywords: University of California, Davis , AUTO EQUIP OPR PRN (Principal Automotive Equipment Operator), Education / Teaching , Davis, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!