Area Chief of Staff
Company: Banfield Pet Hospital
Posted on: May 24, 2023
Opening StatementSUMMARY OF JOB PURPOSE AND FUNCTIONThe primary
purpose and function of the Area Chief of Staff is to lead, develop
and manage associate veterinarians in their hospitals to ensure
Banfield can attract, develop, engage and retain doctors that will
deliver quality care and meet expected hospital performance
measures. This position drives the culture and delivery of quality
care by the veterinary provider team (DVM, CVT, VA) in their
assigned hospitals to ensure that every pet receives consistent
care aligning with our six domains of quality(safe, effective,
patient/client centered, timely, efficient and equitable care.) The
Area Chief of Staff partners with the Practice Manager (if
applicable) to drive the culture and delivery of quality care by
the veterinary provider team (DVM, CVT, VA) in their assigned
hospitals to ensure that every pet receives consistent care
aligning with our six domains of quality(safe, effective,
patient/client centered, timely, efficient and equitable
care.Description - ExternalESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within
self and team.
- Serve as a champion for quality by communicating, demonstrating
and driving a culture of quality and safety at the hospital level
to optimize medical care, client experience, associate engagement
and hospital performance.
- Perform regular hospital visits and quality audits to ensure
hospital compliance with industry, regulatory and Banfield quality
standards while building associate veterinarian engagement.
- Develop, coach, and manage associate veterinarians on the
technical and functional skills needed to be successful in their
role and deliver outstanding, high quality medical care that aligns
with our six domains of quality and supports the business by
delivering on hospital performance expectations.
- In partnership with the Director of Veterinary Quality (DVQ),
drive a successful and growing doctor team through recruiting,
gathering referrals, assisting with interviews, and leading
onboarding and training of new associate and locum veterinarians in
their hospitals. -
- Develop associate and lead veterinarians to coach new hires and
deliver an exceptional onboarding and mentorship experience.
- Deliver on veterinary quality KPIs to support the hospital,
market and practice OGSMs.
- Perform clinical skill and leadership competency development of
associate and lead veterinarians to deliver high quality medical
care and outstanding client service.
- In partnership with the Regional P&O Co-Pilot (POCP) and
the DVQ, identify and develop future veterinary talent for
leadership roles within the practice.
- Drive doctor engagement and retention efforts in partnership
with DVQ, POCP and operations by implementing strategies to reduce
turnover risk and provide consistent support at the hospital level.
Support the engagement and retention of certified veterinary
- Responsible for medical equipment inventory and functionality
in assigned hospitals and manage requests for additional medical
equipment in partnership with the DVQ and Regional Vice President
of Veterinary Quality (VPVQ).
- Partner with the Practice Manager (PM) to manage medical
equipment maintenance and calibration in accordance with practice
and equipment supplier standards.
- Actively participate in local, state, and national veterinary
organizations to cultivate relationships within the veterinary
profession (i.e. regulatory boards, vendors, associations, and
referral hospitals) to promote Banfield's brand reputation.
- Ensure hospital operations meet all local, state and federal
regulatory requirements including but not limited to compliance
with controlled substance management and radiation safety.
- Other job duties as assigned.THE FIVE PRINCIPLES
- Quality - The consumer is our boss, quality is our work and
value for money is our goal.
- Responsibility - As individuals, we demand total responsibility
from ourselves; as associates, we support the responsibility of
- Mutuality - A mutual benefit is a shared benefit; a shared
benefit will endure.
- Efficiency - We use resources to the full, waste nothing and do
only what we can do best.
- Freedom - We need freedom to shape our future; we need profit
to remain free.HIRING QUALIFICATIONS / COMPETENCIESLeadership
- Conflict Management
- Customer Focus
- Developing Direct Reports
- Directing Others
- Building Effective TeamsFunctional
- Hiring and Staffing
- Communication Skills
- Managing and Measuring work
- Peer Relationships
- Drive for ResultsCAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE (CAN DO)
- Ability to multi-task - Manages multiple tasks at one time;
quickly and accurately shifts attention among multiple tasks under
distracting conditions without loss of accuracy or appearance of
- Organizational ability - Demonstrates a systematic approach in
carrying out assignments. - Is very orderly and excels at cutting
through confusion and turning chaos into order. -
- Surgical skills - Proven ability to perform all basic
surgeries, including use of all standard medical instruments and
- Problem solving skills - Demonstrates a strong ability to
identify, analyze and solve problems. - Translates problems into
- Intellectual ability - Accurately and consistently follows
instructions delivered in an oral, written or diagram format. - Can
provide directions. Commitment to continual learning.
- Mathematical ability - Ability to add, subtract, multiply and
divide, and to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to convert
units of measurement.
- Computer skills - Comfortably and confidently uses a computer
and specialized software.ATTITUDES (WILL DO)
- Initiative - Shows willingness and aptitude to use own
discretion in taking appropriate steps in finding solutions to
problems; presents options and ideas to enhance current processes
or procedures. - Takes on additional responsibility when both big
and small tasks need to be done; seeks out the most valuable work
to do during times when the hospital faces low client demand.
- Integrity - Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of Banfield
Pet Hospitals. - Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound
- Cooperativeness - Willing to work with others, collaborating
and compromising where necessary; promptly shares relevant
information with others.
- Flexibility - Is open to changing situations and opportunities
and is willing to perform all tasks assigned.
- Independence - Able and willing to perform tasks and duties
- Tolerance for Stress / Resiliency - Maintains a positive "can
do" outlook, rebounds quickly from frustrations and unpleasantness,
and maintains composure and friendly demeanor while dealing with
stressful situations.SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- Ability to be confident around pets (i.e., dogs, cats, birds,
- Client needs and work volume may often require more than 40
hours per week to complete essential duties of this job. This
position requires special hours including working weekends and
- The noise level in the work environment is moderately
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral,
or diagram form and to solve problems involving several
- Requires sufficient ambulatory skills in order to perform
duties while at hospital.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well
as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, finger-hand-arm dexterity
with the ability to reach and grasp, and visual acuity to use a
keyboard and operate medical equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Associate is routinely exposed to a variety of pets that may
bite or scratch, and on occasion, exposed to anesthesia, radiation,
biological hazards and medication/controlled substances.
- Some travel required, to assist other area hospitals as well as
for vendor visits and associate education.
- Banfield policies and protocols are not intended to supersede
the associate's legal responsibilities and medical judgment. - In
the event of a conflict, applicable laws and regulations will
control.DEA: - Candidate must obtain state controlled substance and
federal DEA within 3 months of employment, unless otherwise
required by the state in which working.USDA: Accredited by the USDA
Animal and Plant Health Inspection ServiceEXPERIENCE, EDUCATION
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM/VMD) or equivalent degree
- Veterinary license in good standing or eligibility for
licensure with the applicable state veterinary board.
- 3 years experience in small animal medicine an d surgery
practice.WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
EMPLOYER.Banfield Pet Hospital - strongly supports and values the
uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where
diversity is embraced. Banfield Pet Hospital is an equal
opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or status
as a qualified individual with disability. Banfield Pet Hospital
complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws
governing nondiscrimination in employment in every Banfield
Keywords: Banfield Pet Hospital, Davis , Area Chief of Staff, Other , Davis, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...